The museum is now based in a purpose built building at the new Watford Fire Station, in the Lower High Street, behind Tesco's and virtually opposite Watford Museum.
Two ex-Fire Service Officers (Roger Middleton and Ian Strudwick) look after following:
- An 1850s manual hand pump from Barley near Royston.
- An 1850s wooden Escape Ladder with hose box, possibly from a large mansion in the Watford area.
- An 1863 manual hand pump from the Tring Park Estate.
- An 1896 Shand-Mason horse-drawn steam fire pump, ex-London Fire Brigade.
- A 1900s Hose Cart - on loan from Watford Museum.
- A 1937 Leyland open-bodied Pump Escape, based at St Albans in the 1960s.
- A 1942 Dennis No. 2 Trailer Pump, from Berkhamstead.
- A Second World War Scammell wheelbarrow pump.
There is also a substantial collection of various items of fire service equipment/uniform/documents (old and new), with a large and varied photographic display of fire appliances, fire/incident scenes and local fire history.
Our Open Days for 2015 are as follows:
- 18 April
- 16 May
- 13 June
- 11 July
- 8 August
- 5 September
Open from 1pm to 4pm.
We are always on the lookout for Fire Brigade memorabilia that deserves a good home and is perhaps currently gathering dust in a shed or attic. We can be contacted by email at email@example.com or through Watford Museum.